Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Beans, Beans the magical fruit!

The more you eat, the more you....save money!

I have always had a bunch of dried beans in my food pantry, but I rarely use them. It always seemed so much easier to just use the more expensive and speedier canned beans for chili and soups. I once got like 25 pounds of beans on sale for like 32 cents a pound at Super Target. That breaks down to 2 cents per serving!!!! Super deal! Until now I have rarely used them. This week I decided that I would finally break down and cross into the dried bean frontier. I made black bean and Spanish rice burritos on Monday. They were easy and a big success, then last night I made homemade baked beans and hot dogs. The baked beans could have been better, but like I told Nathan, I can try again!

So here's my tip: Try cooking with some dried beans, they store well, they are nutritious, and Hannah adds "they are yummy!"

By the way, if you always eat a little bit of fiber your body gets used to it and you don't have to worry about being designated an alternative fuel source.

1 comment:

Ellen said...

How did you get free Chipotle???